The Soundtrack of My Youth

Friday, March 31, 2006

Lindisfarne - Dingly Dell (1972)



I was crazy about British folk (well, all varieties of British rock of the '70s, actually!) and Lindisfarne was right up there, at least for me, with Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Planxty and Steeleye Span.

The songs on this typically tuneful '70s folk-pop showcase are infectiously lilting (how can anything with mandolin embellishments not be lilting?). Listening to music like this always takes me back to those glorious old days of sweet innocence (well, not really!) and cleaner air (couldn't be truer!).

1 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I know this is years later than your comment, but this album is dear to my heart. I'm American, so when this album came out, I had no knowledge of the huge British folk-rock movement. I worked at my small college radio station, and we were allowed to take any promotional albums that didn't fit our format. I previewed Dingly Dell and fell in love with it. I begged to host a program with this kind of music, but it didn't fly. So I took the LP and began searching for more like it. A few years later, I took a trip to London and came across the New Electric Muse, which was a gold mine for me. Finally I had a sampling of all the wonderful musicians I had been searching for. I now have the Dingly Dell CD and it is still as happy and snappy as it was when I was 19!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home