The Soundtrack of My Youth

Monday, March 27, 2006

Curved Air - Live at the BBC (released in 1995)



The first Curved Air LP I bought was 1975's 'Midnight Wire' which I found in the bargain bin at a shop in Wisma Central (Macalister Road), Penang along with several interesting rock, jazz and classical titles (if you must know, I also bought an RCA recording of Mozart's 'Clarinet Concerto in A major, K.622' featuring Benny Goodman).

I was hooked from the first track, and was particularly intrigued by lead singer Sonja Kristina's dramatic style (so weirdly operatic when you least expected it!) and Darryl Way's violin virtuosity. The album also featured future Police drummer Stewart Copeland who was married to Kristina at one stage.

This collection of live BBC recordings (1970 to 1976) features some of the band's best pieces, including strong performances of 'Midnight Wire' and 'Woman on a One Night Stand' from 'Midnight Wire', my all-time favourite CA album.

1 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger archtopsoul said...

PW: beowulf

 

Post a Comment

<< Home